CO is produced by the incomplete combustion of a fossil fuel. It is commonly produced by these items that many people use from day to day:
At Home: furnaces, water heaters, dryers, lanterns, space heaters, fire places
Yard Equipment: mowers, tractors, weed-whackers, blowers, rototillers, generators, power washers; if you have had a poisoning incident related to any generator, please report it at https://www.saferproducts.gov/External.
Vehicles: Automobiles, ATVs, RVs,
Chemicals: (paint stripper), sterno fuel
Around the yard: fireplaces, outdoor fire pits
Cooking Appliances: BBQs, stoves, ranges, ovens
Watercraft: Boats, jet skis
Be sure the area is well ventilated and follow all directions. CO has been the leading cause of poisoning in US for the last 100 years.
So how do you know if one of your appliances is exposing your family to CO? Get your home tested. Help is only a phone call away. If you suspect CO poisoning make the call for help today.
Fire department - will check your home and appliances for CO levels within the hour.
Natural gas provider
Certified technician - with an electronic handheld CO detector
Are Your Family’s Heath Issues Due to …. CO Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is odorless, colorless, and tasteless making it extremely difficult to detect. How then do you determine if your family is being poisoned?
All across the America and the world, CO poisoning is rapidly gaining attention due its common occurrence. CO is produced anytime fuel is burned and is the leading cause of death from unintentional injuries; out pacing motor vehicle crashes.
Please be aware that CO posioning symptoms are not ‘one size fits all’; they are dependent on the level of exposure, history of exposure, and personal physiology. For example, if you regularly use gas-powered, CO producing lawn equipment you'll suffer more CO injury than those in the household who do not. Similarly, a CO producing stove will injury the person who cooks more than those who don’t. Initial injury resembles the flu with symptoms including weak, tired, cold, stomach pain or nausea, and perhaps a headache. Now many experts believe we should stop assuming it is just a simple cold or flu and start suspecting CO poisoning.
On a final note, there are blood tests that detect CO poisoning. However, these blood tests are not designed to detect chronic, long-term poisoning. The only way to know if your family is being posioned is to test your appliances with a CO detector. If anyone in your family is experiencing dizziness, nausea, lightheadedness, vomiting, headache or confusion or if you suspect CO poisoning, don’t wait. Protect your family today. The gas company will come out at no charge to check your appliances and ensure your home is CO safe.